I started reading Exodus, simply because i didn't know where to start off in my bible reading. I read it in the bathroom though doing my big business, after the house has all settled down, floors cleaned, food cleared & packed, Eliza snuggled to sleep....and God spoke in Exodus 1.
The midwives who feared the Lord. Do you know about them? I guess this shed light that there was a proper profession called a mid-wife in those times. I wondered what they were like...were they large & imposing, fierce women? or gentle & encouraging, sensitive & knowledgable women? I would think that it is either. The thing was that they feared the Lord more than the pharaoh. Their faith was that deep. I mean they could be killed for defying the pharaoh, but by God's grace they were spared. Though i wonder what God thinks of them spinning the stories about Hebrew women being more vigorous than Egyptian women. Maybe it's true. But i guess it doesn't happen 100% of the time.
Their obedience led to God blessing them with families of their own. It reminds me of the verse "Delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart" Psalm 37:4. Maybe there should be a phrase .."Fear the Lord....desires of your heart" Probably God meant that that delight is closely knitted to fear. Those who have young kids will probably understand.
I learnt about fearing the Lord today.

No comments:
Post a Comment